Saturday, May 10, 2008

Teaching is a craft.

Before I was a teacher, I was an Outward Bound instructor. I led trips of various lengths: anywhere from a day to 3 weeks. I also worked with a wide variety of people: investment bankers and juvenile offenders, children of the affluent from all over America to children of the indigent in the South Bronx.

I had a chance to learn from the students on these courses, but I learned even more from the course directors and veteran instructors who trained me. One such person was David McGough. He was not only brilliant but, more importantly, he was wise. He was the first person to discuss teaching as a craft.

He chose to think of it as such because it was both an art and a science. There was a "right" way to structure a lesson in order for students to maximally retain the information. At least there were best practices that could be followed. A good teacher has to know, developmentally, where their students are at. That is science.

However, at least half of teaching is an art. It takes a tremendous amount of heart and soul. The stickiest parts of the process--beginnings, endings, misconceptions, disagreements and disconnections--require an artful touch. This is often where those with a strong socio-emotional intelligence excel.

I have to admit, part of me likes reinventing the wheel every year. It is too much work and an inefficient way to use one's time. I know. My wife certainly knows. She sees the same frustrating show every year. However, this process keeps it fresh for me. I suppose that is the art side of teaching in action, re-creation.

And, as much as I don't like to admit it, when it comes to designing my classes, re-creation is sometimes recreational.

No comments: