Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mid-Life Teaching

Midway along the journey of our life I woke to find myself in a dark wood, for I had wandered off from the straight path. - Dante Alighieri

First lines of the Divine Comedy.


Recently I realized that this blog might frustrate a new teacher. She might be looking for what to do tomorrow, how to manage a rowdy class or how to deal with the countless little details of teaching. After eleven years in the teaching business, I find that I have gotten more philosophical about how what I am doing is affecting those I am doing it to.

I have lost the straight path. The answers don't really come easily anymore. I find I like to do things like write blog posts instead of grading lab reports.

However, as a teacher and a hiker, that where the trail ends, the adventure begins. And teaching, thankfully, still feels adventurous.

No comments: